Harvard Mk II  AJ583

C-FHWX

  IMG_4555

 

Manufacturer:  North American Aviation, Inglewood, California

Entered Service: July 29, 1941

Disposed of:  June 21, 1960

Served:  #31 SFTS, Kingston, Ontario; Gimli, Manitoba

Other History:

Originally ordered by France, but was taken on strength by the British Royal Air Force (RAF).  Believed to be one of the aircraft dragged across the Canadian/American border by a team of horses under the guise of not violating the US Neutrality Act prior to the US entering the war in December 1941. Transferred to the RCAF in 1943.  Purchased by J.P. Rheault, Trois-Rivières, Quebec, in 1961 for $750, and flown in the St. Maurice Aero Club.  To Alex Kennedy, Trois-Rivières, Quebec, in 1965.  Acquired by Dr. John Cowan in 1966, HWX was a winner in the 1968 Cleveland Air Races.  Obtained by CHAA in 1986 with the generous assistance of Dr. Cowan.  Repainted to BCATP colours in 1989 with the support of BASF.

 

Harvard Mk II  3830

C-FRWN

IMG_4929_1

 

Manufacturer:  North American Aviation, Inglewood, California

Entered Service:  May 10, 1941

Disposed of:  October 11, 1960

Served:  No. 8 SFTS Weyburn, Saskatchewan; No. 11 SFTS Yorkton, Saskatchewan; Flying Instructors School, Trenton, Ontario

Other History:

Purchased by Hicks & Lawrence, a St. Thomas company specializing in crop dusting, fire fighting and fighting bud worm, as a training aircraft for pilots of the massive Grumman Avenger. Sold in 1978 to George Gilvesy of Tillsonburg, who built a hangar to house the plane (CHAA now owns this hangar).  Later purchased by Dr. Don Nightingale, a professor at Queen’s University in Kingston, as a flying memorial to his father who received his wings at No. 6 SFTS in Dunnville, Ontario, and instructed at No. 9 Elementary Flying Training School (EFTS)in St. Catherines, Ontario.  With Bill Hayes of Tillsonburg, RWN was restored as an authentic Harvard Mk II sparing no expense.  After CHAA received a “Class B” Museum designation, the aircraft was donated to CHAA in honour of Nightingale’s father.  In 1997, RWN returned to Tillsonburg.

 

Harvard Mk 4  20242

C-FWPK

WPK

 

Manufacturer:  Canadian Car and Foundry, Fort William, Ontario

Entered Service:  February 29, 1952

Disposed of:  July 30, 1967

Served: 2 FTS Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan; No. 4 FTS Penhold, Alberta

Other History:

Disposed of for $1,850, WPK spent several years flying out of Sault Ste Marie, Ontario.  Jim Vernon of Oakville purchased WPK in the early 1970’s and was later flown as the #2 position in a 4-plane Goldilocks Formation for the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum.  In 1978, it was bought by Norm & Kent Beckham and Bob Hewitt, and based out of Woodstock.  WPK was purchased by CHAA in 1989.  The engine was overhauled in 1991 for $27,000.

 

Harvard Mk 4  20321

CF-UFZ ‘Bessy’


IMG_0853_1

 

Manufacturer:  Canadian Car & Foundry, Fort William, Ontario

Entered Service:  June 10, 1952

Off Strength:  February 21, 1966

Served:  1 Air Navigation School, Summerside, PEI; No. 3 FTS Claresholm, Alberta; 2 FTS Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan; 4 FTS Penhold, Alberta

Other History

Purchased by Albert Beach, Burns Lake, British Columbia, in 1966.  UFZ was then bought by Tony and Mary Swain, of Vancouver, British Columbia in 1971.  Tony, a former director for the Canadian Owners and Pilots Association (COPA) flew ‘Bessy’ for over 30 years.  UFZ was purchased under CHAA’s Class”B”Museum designation in 2005 and was delivered to Tillsonburg in March 2006.  An overhauled engine was installed over the 2008-2009 season.

 

Harvard Mk 4  20422

C-FRZW


RZW_1a

Manufacturer:  Canadian Car & Foundry, Fort William, Ontario

Entered Service:  October 9, 1952

Off Strength:  October 15, 1964

Served:  2 FTS Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan; MacDonald, Manitoba; 4 FTS Penhold, Alberta

Other History:

Purchased by Tom Ladobruk of Steinback, Manitoba in 1966.  Bought by Lew Benvenuto of London, Ontario, in 1972, and sold to CHAA for $1 in 2003.  RZW was repainted in 2005 with a Trillium Foundation grant of $46,000.

 

Harvard Mk 4  20436

C-FWLH


WLH

Manufacturer:  Canadian Car and Foundry, Fort William, Ontario

Entered Service:  November 28, 1952

Off Strength:  September 7, 1967

Served:  Flying Instructors School, Trenton, Ontario; 2 FTS Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan; 4 FTS Penhold, Alberta

Other History:

While based at Moose Jaw, 20436 was one of the Harvards used in the Goldilocks Aerobatic Team.  Bought by Percy Ellard of Caron, Saskatchewan, in 1968 and registered as CF-WWI.  Later owned by Robert Wilkinson of Calgary, Alberta.  Purchased in 1988 by William E. Lamon of Eugene, Oregon, an ex-NATO pilot trainee from Belgium who trained on Harvards in Canada, and given the US registration N436WL.  In recent years, the aircraft was part of the Canadian Air Force Heritage Flight, flying in formation with a CT-133 Silver Star and CT-114 Tutor.  It is also an honourary member of  “The Big 2” (#2 Canadian Forces Flying Training School) in Moose Jaw.  CHAA acquired the aircraft in January 2008, and it was flown from Oregon to London on April 15-17, 2008 – a distance of 2130.5 nautical miles.  On April 19, 2008, ‘436 was flown from London to Tillsonburg Airport escorted by C-FWPK and C-FRZW. Re-registered in Canada as C-FWLH – William Lamon’s Harvard.

 

Harvard Mk II  3191

C-FMTX

MTX

(Out of service, awaiting full restoration)

 

Manufacturer:  North American Aviation, Inglewood, California

Entered Service:  June 25, 1941

Disposed of:  September 26, 1960

Served:  #14 SFTS Aylmer, Ontario; #2 SFTS Uplands, Ottawa, Ontario; Primary Flying Training School, Centralia, Ontario

Other History:

According to records of March 1945, 3191 was used by one of the last classes to receive their wings during wartime.  Bought by Bert Reynolds in November 1960, MTX was kept in the Toronto area until sold to Al McHardy, based at Maple Airport.  Purchased by Stan Castle, MTX was then based at Toronto Island Airport, and was flown as an aerobatic plane at air shows in Ontario.  Moved to King City, Ontario where Norm Beckham saw it and with partners Bob Hewitt and Len Fallowfield, acquired MTX in 1975.  When purchased, MTX was turquoise with black stripes, and in 1978 was repainted BCATP yellow.  In 1992, it was sold to Jim Goff of Seminole, Oklahoma, but was purchased back at auction in 1997 and flown to Tillsonburg by Norm Beckham.  Taken offline in 2005 for a full restoration.

 

Harvard Mk 4  20304

C-FBZT

BZT

(Currently under restoration)

 

Manufacturer:  Canadian Car and Foundry, Fort William, Ontario

Entered Service:  May 15, 1952

Off Strength:  November 1, 1965

Served:  MacDonald, Manitoba; Primary Flying Training School, Centralia, Ontario

Other History:

Purchased from Crown Assets Disposal Corporation by Gilbert Dressel on December 7, 1964 and stored in a barn on his property near Wainfleet, Ontario for 42 years.  In June 2006, it was obtained jointly by Stan and Greg Tyrell.  The plan was to restore the aircraft fully and at an appropriate time, donate it to CHAA.  Greg did not see his plan come to fruition as he sadly passed away in December 2008.  In November 2009, Jennifer Tyrell (Greg’s widow), on behalf of Greg and the Tyrell family, announced the gift of 20304 to CHAA.  In December 2009, the fuselage of 20304 was transported to Tillsonburg, with the wings following in May 2012.  Work is well underway on the restoration of 20304 to airworthy condition.

 

 

OTHER CHAA AIRCRAFT

 

 

DH-82C  Tiger Moth 5030

C-GCOE

COE

 

Manufacturer:  de Havilland Aircraft of Canada, Downsview, Ontario

Entered Service:  June 23, 1941

Off Strength:  July 28, 1945

Served:  No. 32 Elementary Flying Training School (EFTS), Bowden, Alberta; No. 16 EFTS, Edmonton, Alberta; No. 31 EFTS, De Winton, Alberta; No. 26 EFTS, Neepawa, Manitoba

Other History:

Transferred to the Royal Canadian Flying Club Association.  Went to the Aero Club of BC, Vancouver, British Columbia in May 1946.  Registered as CF-CHT, it was used for flight instruction.  In September 1949, CF-CHT was sold to private owners and was damaged in a crash landing in November 1949.  Completely restored by I. Zacharias of North Battleford, Saskatchewan and was flown again in June 1975, registered as C-GCOE.  In May 1989, it was bought by Croton Flyers of Wallaceburg, Ontario.  It was acquired by CHAA in 1994 and after cleaning and upgrading, took to the skies again in November 1996.

 

NA-64 Yale 3399

C-GLJH

chaa20106260198

 

Manufacturer:  North American Aviation, Inglewood, California

Entered Service:  September 16, 1940

Off Strength:  September 25, 1946

Served:  No. 1 SFTS Camp Borden, Ontario; No. 4 Wireless School, Guelph, ON (St. Catharines); No. 1 Wireless School, Mount Hope, ON

Other History:

Appeared in the 1942 Warner Brothers movie “Captains of the Clouds” starring James Cagney.  Stored at Brantford airport after the war, 3399, along with dozens of other Yales, was sold as scrap to Amsco Ltd. of Hamilton, who then put the aircraft up for sale.  3399 was one of approximately 36 Yales purchased by Ernest V. Simmons, who lived south of Tillsonburg, in a misguided scheme to sell the aircraft back to the RCAF for a profit in case of another war.  It was purchased at the estate sale of Mr. Simmons by Don Goddard of Waterloo in 1970.  Obtained by CHAA in 1987, the task of restoring the Yale to airworthy condition was assigned to CHAA’s Restoration Wing under the direction of the late ex-RCAF Wing Commander Lou J. Hill.  The Yale is dedicated to W/C Hill, and the registration, C-GLJH, bears his initials.  The first post-restoration flight was on May 20, 2010.  In 2013, Yale 3399 received the “Excellence in Restoration” award from the Canadian Aeronautical Preservation Association.

 

Photo by Shane Clayton

Photo by Shane Clayton